- Smith finished his career as the alltime winningest coach in basketball history with 879 victories.
- In 36 years, Smith coached Carolina to 11 Final Fours, two national titles and 13 ACC Tournament Championships.
- Over 96 percent of Smith’s lettermen graduated since his first year in 1961.
- From 1981 to 1989, Carolina was ranked in the final Top 10 of both the Associated Press and coaches’ poll each year.
- Only four times in Coach Smith’s 36 years did the Tar Heels fail to make 50 percent from the field.
- Smith is the author of Basketball: Multiple Offenses and Defense, which has been translated into several foreign languages and is the best-selling technical basketball book in history.
- Smith graduated from Kansas where he played varsity basketball and baseball and football as a freshman.
- Smith was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass., in 1983. He was also inducted into the North Carolina Hall of Fame in 1981.
- Smith was voted ACC Coach of the Year eight times – 1967, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1988 and 1993.
Do you like this page?